- 1938, the Abe Lincoln Youth District Library Association formed with the intent of building a library in Dale, Indiana.
- May 1945, a Memorial Library planned; a one-room library was developed, staffed by volunteers and consisted of paperback books.
- By 1978, a more formal facility considered, and in 1985, the Dale Women’s Organization began a drive to form a permanent library. With cooperation from the town of Dale and St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, a room in the former St. Joseph’s Elementary School became the home of the town library.
Members of the Dale Jaycees assisted with remodeling and with running the library.
- In 1989, The Dale Community Volunteer Library changed its name to Lincoln Heritage Public Library, serving the demographic area that consisted of the North Spencer School Corporation
(Carter, Clay, Jackson, Harrison, Huff, and Grass).
- The first president of the LHPL board was Narl Conner.
- A goal was set to construct the library on property donated by the Park Board of Dale.
- The groundbreaking on March 2, 1991, and dedication was on December 8, 1991.
- Cost of the 10,000 square foot building was $704,000, of which $63,000 raised by donations.
- Kathy Dilger hired as the first librarian in 1990.
- In 2003, there was an addition of a computer lab, new children’s room with a story time room and an Indiana/Genealogy room. All construction completed in 2004.
- The main branch celebrated its 25th anniversary in December 2016
- LHPL Chrisney Branch is the first certified net-zero public library in the state of Indiana and uses solar and geothermal technology in April 2009. Click here for more info on the Sunny Portal & More
- Lt. Governor Becky Skillman awarded the library with the Partner In Progress Award, which is the highest award given by the Lieutenant Governor. LHPL Chrisney Branch was recognized for being a leader in renewable energy and making a lasting impact on the state of Indiana.
- With a population of 540 people (in the year 2006), the citizens of Chrisney donated over $80,000 for funding to build the library.
- It was designed by lead architect Bill Brown, Director of Sustainability for Indiana, who is a Spencer County native. The library’s solar power pavilion was built by Morton Solar & Wind, LLC, a local renewable energy solution provider.
- The company’s owner is Brad Morton, a 1992 University of Southern Indiana graduate.
- LHPL Chrisney Branch was staffed primarily by volunteers; many of them retired school teachers. Since 2010, the library is staffed by Chrisney native, Litha Synder.
- PBS Special
- Spencer County
- The Chrisney Branch celebrated its 5th anniversary in April 2014.
- The Chrisney Branch celebrated its 10th anniversary in April 2019.