Dale Branch History
1938, the Abe Lincoln Youth District Library Association formed with the intent of building a library in Dale, Indiana.
May 1945, a Memorial Library planned; a one-room library was developed,
staffed by volunteers and consisted of paperback books.
By 1978, a more formal facility considered, and in 1985, the Dale Women’s Organization began
a drive to form a permanent library.
With cooperation from the town of Dale and St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, a room in the former
St. Joseph’s Elementary School became the home of the town library.
Members of the Dale Jaycees assisted with remodeling and with running the library.
In 1989, The Dale Community Volunteer Library changed its name to Lincoln Heritage Public Library,
serving the demographic area that consisted of the North Spencer School Corporation
(Carter, Clay, Jackson, Harrison, Huff, and Grass).
The first president of the LHPL board was Narl Conner.
A goal was set to construct the library on property donated by the Park Board of Dale.
The groundbreaking on March 2, 1991, and dedication was on December 8, 1991.
Cost of the 10,000 square foot building was $704,000, of which $63,000 raised by donations.
Kathy Dilger hired as the first librarian in 1990.
In 2003, there was an addition of a computer lab, new children’s room with a story time room and an Indiana/Genealogy room. All construction completed in 2004.